Monday, June 18, 2007

Canada Cup - Hardwood Hills, Barrie

The start -- I'm in there somewhere




This season has been a little different than my previous season and a half so far -- see, this time around, I know that I am not going to be in contention for a podium or win, and somehow that takes off a lot of pressure (maybe too much to be honest).

Anyway, this point was never more clear to me than at yesterday's Canada Cup. I actually lined up against the best in the world. Just to be there, at the same start line, was something of a career highlight. To have the privelege of having my ass kicked by 2007's World Cup leaders, team China; Canada's best Olympic hope, Kiara Basaro; representatives from Brazil and of course Canadians from coast to coast -- WELL, it was a real high point.


Let me tell you about the Chinese ... this year, they've come out of nowhere to dominate the World Cup Circuit. There are three of them, they are about 20 years old each and they go like stink. They have even knocked my personal idol, Gunn-Rita Dahle off the top of the World Cup standings.


Let me tell you about Gunn-Rita. From the moment she picked up a bike, she was fast. In her first season, she raced World Cups -- and won. And she's never looked back. She routinely cleans the clocks of the best women in the world. Until now, when the Chinese appear out of nowhere.


Now it would be unsports-womanlike to cast any suspicion on the Chinese, so I'll just leave it at that and remind you, dear reader, that I too got to be annilhated by them.


On the course, the racing was much more aggressive than usual in Ontario Cups. Passing was exciting ... especially because of all the different languages being yelled from behind. The Chinese left it at a simple "hi, hi, hi, hi, hi ... " They sounded like barking dogs. They were animals! And yes, I know this because I was in fact lapped by all three. The French were speaking a language that was neither french or english, and I think I heard some other strange yelps from far off countries as well. Hard to say.


The course itself was just a brutal endeavour. I felt sick to my stomach for half of it as it was just constant ups and downs. I think I actually had motion-sickness at one point. It was also a course prone to too much braking, so there was lots of opportunity to make the mistake of braking then having to work to get the bike back up to speed ... when if you'd just taken the risk and not braked, you'd have saved all that energy. Of course, you might have also hit the tree. It's a gamble.

Huge thank you to Liz who was, as usual, a hero in the feed zone. I don't know how she keeps track of Jerome, Chris and I all on the course at the same time directly after finished her own race. But thank you thank you thank you!!

My race was a solid "good". I wasn't nearly as grumpy as usual because there weren't so many old men pushing me out of their way. It was a hot day and I made quite a few errors. Fell once, and even had a mechanical. But my results were the usual -- I beat one girl, and another who DNF'd.


And speaking of results, the Chinese took 1, 2 and 3 and our Canadian, Kiara Bisaro took the fourth spot. I beleive I mentioned Marie-Helene Premont was expected but she didn't end up coming afterall. Too bad because she's another amazing lady I'd love to be humbled by.


Truthfully, I was just tickled to be there, and I gave the race everything I had so the day was a success.


now where is that advil.... ?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home