Thursday, February 22, 2007

Alabama Cycling Camp -- another update

Alabama Cycling Camp entry 13: Flanders strike again
5:22pm Wednesday, Feb 21

Today we had a gruelling ride that went from bad to worse. It was raining steadily the entire way which makes things ugly in a variety of ways. Number one, it is wet. Number two, the bike in front of you sprays water and grime from the road right into your mouth. Number three, it only takes about an hour for the shivering to start when you are soaked to the bone. We rode for three. Today, the Flanders pulled out all the stops and after making me gag at breakfast over their couply banter, pulled out a tandem for use on the ride. How much more cliche can you get??!! A bicycle built for two. aww. Ned was pretty proud of the thing and explained to anyone who would listen (or at least not walk away) that he built the thing himself yadda yadda yadda (i walked away).

Alabama Cycling Camp entry 14: it all comes together
3:41pm Today

At last, the perfect day at Cycling camp. I am so pleased with the ride and the weather...I was in jersey and shorts and still too hot. I was eating and drinking properly so I never ran out of gas on the ride and finished with lots left in the tank even though we had been out for four and a half hours. We split into two equal sized groups of 8 today instead of the huge chaotic train we've been dealing with since the new camp began. MUCH better, huge improvement. I even had an ice cream cone at a rest stop. Once, we rode by this place with horses in the field. I called out to a pretty white one and he took a shine to me and ran along beside while I cheered him on. He ran with me for the entire length of his fence and he even jumped over a fallen tree. I think he likes me. We also see a lot of cows on the wrong side of the fence but I don't encourage them to run along with us. I can't believe the change from yesterday to today! It is like another planet! Tomorrow is my last ride and i am hoping it measures up to today's. I'm sure not sticking around the library much longer--time to find a sunny spot on the deck and get into a book.

1 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness...a positive note ! By next week you will be wishing you were in Alabama. Carpe diem!

'Charlee'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home