Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Sandhill Crane

I was in Elliot Lake recently racing my bike, and on the way home, I saw a species of bird I have never seen before. It was enormous! I thought Emu when I first saw the pair of them. So I took advantage of the limitless resources of the internet and was able to identify the mystery birds as a Sandhill Crane. Here are some pics and stats--

"The Sandhill Crane is a tall gray bird of open grasslands, meadows, and wetlands. It congregates in huge numbers in migration."



Description

Very large bird.
Long neck.
Long Legs.
Gray body, may be stained reddish.
Red forehead.
White cheek.
Tufted feathers over rump.
Size: 120 cm (47 in)
Wingspan: 200 cm (79 in)
Weight: 3400-4900 g (120.02-172.97 ounces)

Sound
A deep, rolling trumpet and rattling

Conservation Status
One of the few crane species in the world that is still common. Mississippi and Cuban populations endangered.

Other Names
Grue Canadienne, Grue de Canada (French)Grulla, Grulla Cenicienta, Grulla del Canada (Spanish)

Cool Facts
The Sandhill Crane does not breed until it is two to seven years old. It can live up to the age of 20. Mated pairs stay together year round, and migrate south as a group with their offspring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home