Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy New Year

I hope everyone enjoyed safe and happy holidays. Some weren't so fortunate in this fair city, and we mustn't forget them. More on that later.
Personally, my holidays were enjoyable, however not very restful. There was much eating and visiting to be done. And of course, I had to keep up with my training. Even so, it appears I have added an extra 5 pounds but I am calling that muscle.
Highlights included some family time augmented by far too much wine at christmas dinner. The next christmas dinner with family in St. Catharines also featured too many beverages but we were much better behaved than at home. The third and final christmas dinner in Pickering stuck with tradition and all 22 in attendance left satisfied.
New Year's passed without too much excitement. I foolishly agreed to help a friend move out of her 4th floor apartment in a house with narrow stairways and no elevator on a snowy day. There was a box spring involved as well as an irate and totally unreasonable landlord hovering about. Not the best of times, but despite my complaining, I was happy to help. We were rewarded with pizza, and let me tell you, after all that work, it never tasted so good. Since I wore myself out that afternoon, the evening ended up being a little bit of a non-event. I had confirmed mine and Jerome's attendance at a friend's house party but was determined to nap for a bit before we went. I woke up from my nap and thought maybe I should just go back to sleep--but then felt obligated to show up since it is New Year's and all that jazz. I made it until 11:30 and then I just had to leave. The New Year came in while Jerome and I were de-boarding the subway. Not very glamourous. Not even any champagne involved.
The next day, I slept in for the first time in what feels like ages. That was better than any party or champagne. Then all I did was play x-box in my pajamas.
Later that evening, we dined with Jerome's folks and brother. A very nice meal notably "spicey" free, for my benefit. I am a big suck when it comes to the hot stuff. They are the opposite.
On our last day of holidays, we took Marco, of Maastricht fame, to see the great Niagara Falls. It was cold, wet and miserable, but somehow still a good time. I was surprised at how many tourists were there even at this time of year with no maid of the mist, no journey behind the falls etc etc. We certainly were not alone.
And now, back to the grind!

1 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Angry Brown Man said...

Yuo have an xbox? Do you ever play halo 2 on xbox live?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home