Monday, December 10, 2007

On Painting ...

I recently came to my senses regarding the rent I pay in my fancy one-bedroom downtown ... and am therefore moving post-haste. One of the extra chores I concocted to make more work for myself includes painting in my new room. I've decided on "Inukshuk" which is one of those neutral colours that are so hot right now.

I picked up my paint and supplies from Dudley's hardware at Church and Wellesley including:

- 2 gallons of Benjamin Moore "Inukshuk" in pearl finish (CC-460 from the "designer classics" palette)
- 1 nylon paintbrush
- 1 edger
- 1 roller
- 1 tray
- 1 stir stick
- 1 roll of painter's tape

By 4:30 I was ready to get going on my project. I vastly underestimated the pain in the ass painting is. This is only my second project and the project before was heavily supervised and also more than 5 years ago.

I am very thankful to the man at Dudley's who guided me through a strategy. First, I taped up all the baseboards, fixtures and doorframes. That took me a long time. The next step was to put two coats of paint on all the places walls join walls, walls join ceilings, all the edges etc etc. In a square room, this would be no sweat. But my room is ... complicated. It is on the third floor of an old house. So sometimes, the walls are walls, but sometimes they slope into the ceiling. So not only am I painting the walls, but I'm also painting the ceiling.

Once all the edges are done, then I can get going with the roller. I am praying that at that point, the job will go a little faster. Saturday I left after 6 hours on the job and I haven't even got the second coat of trimming done.

I don't know when I'll have the time to pack! Moving day is coming up fast ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home