Monday, November 14, 2005

PMS


Nature is sometimes a little confusing. It doesn't seem right that at the time the female body is meant to be receptive to reproduction, she becomes a repellent monster no one wants to be within 10 feet of.

There are apparently 150 symptoms associated with PMS. Good lord.
Here's what I found after a quick google...This is from Woman's Health Channel.

"The symptoms vary from woman to woman and cycle to cycle. *Super. Unpredictable AND Disabilitating* For some women, the symptoms may be mild or moderate, and for others, they may be so severe as to be incapacitating. Common symptoms include the following:

  • Mood-related ("affective") symptoms: depression, sadness, anxiety, anger, irritability, frequent and severe mood swings
  • Mental process ("cognitive") symptoms: decreased concentration, indecision *Should I get the chocolate? What about my figure? Which one? Ah forget it...*
  • Pain: headache (e.g., menstrual migraine), breast tenderness, joint and muscle pain
  • Nervous system symptoms: insomnia (sleeplessness), hypersomnia (sleeping for abnormally long periods of time *This was so me last weekend: I clocked a solid 15 hours one night.*), anorexia, food cravings, fatigue, lethargy, agitation, a change in sex drive, clumsiness, dizziness or vertigo, paresthesia (prickling or tingling sensation)
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms: nausea, diarrhea, palpitations (rapid fluttering of the heart), sweating
  • Fluid and electrolyte symptoms: bloating, weight gain, oliguria (reduced urination)
  • Skin symptoms: acne, oily skin, greasy or dry hair

My list includes all of the above with the following making regular appearances: Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde type moodswings, relationship risking temper tantrums, migraine headaches with the added bonus of puking and oh yeah, I get the odd zit.

I hate to use PMS as an excuse for anything. But lately, it has been unbearable! My normal self is stuck inside my doppelganger and becomes a tiny voice that is no match for my monthly monster. It is as though I am watching this total bitch ruin my life and there is nothing I can do. The contrast, once the PMS has subsided, is just heavenly. It is GREAT to be a nice person again. Back in love with my boyfriend, back in control of my job, and hell, even sleeping better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home