Tuesday, January 31, 2006

To bear, or not to bear...


Granted, this is probably a little old in the news department by now, but I wanted it noted here nonetheless.
Canada has had a difficult time of naming a flag bearer at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turino. This is a top honour is it not? Many deserving athletes were approached but most turned it down. The main reason cited was that the opening ceremonies were too close to their competitions and they feared it could interfere with their chances at medalling.

I am torn on the issue. As an athlete myself, I have thought about this a great deal and at the height of the "crisis" there was no shortage of reading from both sides of the fence. On one hand, I know how much of my day to day existence goes into my sport, and I am but a lowly "sport" rider. I can't imagine what it must be like to compete at the level of an Olympic athlete. So I can see the dilemma. I would probably be panicked or at least anxious the entire night standing out in the cold, staying up late for the occasion, the driving in traffic both directions and of course the increased media pressure. All of these things could lead to some sort of barrier between me and my performance: not enough rest, not focussed on my event, catch a cold etc etc. An Olympic dream is an enormous thing to have carried around for the 10 or so years it takes to train the body to this level. Some only get one chance at taking home a medal. And Canadians are hoping for medals too...but from this point of view, you just can't have it both ways. You can't ask your athletes to run around as media darlings and also make herculean efforts in their events.

On the other hand, what is the Olympics? Athletes are there to represent their country first and then themselves. If your country asks you to look after such a great honour as bearing the flag, part of me can see the side of the debate that says: "when they say jump, you ask how high". Afterall, if these are "carded" athletes, then essentially, they are on Canada's payroll. The government has helped them get as far as they have, and all they ask in return is a for a little walk around a stadium? Doesn't seem like such a big deal framed this way.

In the end, Danielle Goyette will bear the flag. I think she's a great choice. She is a hockey player, and was a member of our women's team in Salt Lake. Plus, she is damn happy to do it.


1 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlee says "Catriona Lemay Doan had an interesting discussion on this subject during interviews with Peter Mansbridge at the Olympics."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home